Exclusive breast-feeding tied to lower risk of behavioral problems in childhood
Researchers found that infants who were exclusively breast-fed until age 6 months had a 56% lower likelihood of behavioral problems at ages 7 to 11, compared with those who were breast-fed for less than a month. The findings in PLOS Medicine, based on data involving more than 1,500 youths in South Africa, also showed that girls were more likely than boys to benefit from exclusive breast-feeding.
We celebrated another birthday at the office. Instead of having the traditional birthday cake, we celebrated with chocolate chip cookies.
Recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Makes 5 Dozen)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (11 ½ ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 package (12 ounces) white chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Combine the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer set on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time; stir in the vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, beating after each addition. Fold in all the chocolate chips and the walnuts.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonful’s about 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten the dough slightly with the back of a fork. Bake the cookies until golden, about 15 minutes. Cook on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Polypharmacy may endanger seniors
Kaiser Health News (8/30, Gorman) reports in a 1,500-word article that many seniors take multiple medications to manage chronic diseases, and that those medications may have interactions that lead to dangerous side effects.
Continue reading “Polypharmacy May Endanger Seniors”
We will be closing the office Friday 9/2/16 at 3:00
due to Tropical Storm Hermine.
Our office will be Open for Saturday clinic 9/3/16 at 9:00am.
We will closed Monday 9/5/16 in observance of the
Labor Day holiday.
Our office will re-open Tuesday 9/6/16 normal business hours.
Stay safe & Happy Holidays